We have been waiting for a whole year to enjoy something resembling a normal summer and it’s finally in sight. This summer caught me by surprise because I wasn’t so sure we would actually get here and I’m not quite ready for it. And maybe like me you can’t quite fit into your outside clothes yet and want to look and feel lighter. Well, I have the perfect summer slimdown plan for you. I completed JJ Smith’s Green Smoothie Cleanse and lost 13.4 lbs in 10 days – without starving myself.
I have tried a ton of diet and weight loss plans in my life, including the Lemonade Diet, Atkins Diet even the Special K diet but, I have never seen such dramatic results without feeling like I was torturing myself. So if you’re ready for all the details, read on for my review.
After a couple weeks of back-to-back travel and eating way too much, I felt bloated and I wanted to jumpstart my weight loss journey. So, I searched for a detox plan that could help me get there and I stumbled on LaToya Ebony’s video. She shared her experiences with this cleanse and it seemed like exactly what I was looking for and it was enough for me to give it a try as well.
What the claims say
The author JJ Smith is a woman of many hats, she’s a New York Times best selling author, nutritionist and certified weight-loss expert, passionate relationship/life coach, and inspirational speaker. She has also been featured on tv, magazines and has written many other books to help you lose weight and create a healthier lifestyle.
If you successfully follow the instructions, she says you can:
- Lose 10–15 pounds in 10 days
- Get rid of stubborn body fat, including belly fat
- Drop pounds and inches fast, without grueling workouts
- Learn to live a healthier lifestyle of detoxing and healthy eating
- Naturally crave healthy foods so you never have to diet again
10 day cleanse overview
The cleanse is very simple, each day you drink the entire smoothie outlined for that day and eat as many crunchy fruits and veggies as you like in between. You can also eat a handful of nuts, if you need an extra snack.
Every day the smoothie recipe has a different combination of fruits and vegetables so you don’t get bored. The recipes add up to your allowance for the day which is about 72oz. I started off by splitting the recipe into thirds to drink one for each meal of the day, but then that became too much work so, I switched to splitting the recipe into halves.
One thing I love about this cleanse is that all the ingredients are accessible and are real food. You know exactly what you’re putting into your body. No need to search for your local witch doctor to buy dried lizard tails, everything you need can be found at most grocery stores.
Here’s one of my favorite recipes from the book.
Apple Strawberry Smoothie Recipe
- 3 handfuls spring mix
- 2 cups water
- 1 banana, peeled
- 2 apples, cored, quartered
- 2 cups of fresh or frozen strawberries
- 2 cups of salad spring mix greens
- 2 Tablespoons ground flax seeds
- OPTIONAL: 2 stevia packets (add more to sweeten, if desired)
- OPTIONAL: 1 scoop of protein powder
Place leafy greens and liquid only into blender and blend until mixture is a green juice-like consistency. Stop blender and add remaining ingredients to blender. Blend again until the whole smoothie is a creamy consistency
How do they taste?
Mentally, I was prepared to gulp down disgusting tasting smoothies, but to my complete surprise, the recipes were tasty and sweet. The recipes also allow you to add stevia to sweeten it but, I found that they were sweet enough without it.
However, I did notice that the recipes became less and less sweet as I progressed through the program. But, I never had a bad tasting smoothie which made it easier for me to stick with it.
How I felt during the cleanse
These are some of the things I experienced while on this cleanse
- Post nasal drip- I’m not exactly sure why this was happening. Was it the cold temperature of the smoothie or maybe my body draining mucus? I have no idea.
- Headaches – these lasted only the first 3 days and I think it may have just been caffeine withdrawals
- No hunger, except for the last day – It was all good until the very last day. My body must’ve known that we’d reach the end and was trying to rebel.
- Heightened sense of smell – not too fun when you catch a whiff of delicious meat and all you have to eat is rabbit food.
- Glowing skin – I didn’t notice it myself, but my friends kept commenting on how great my skin looked.
- More energy!
My final results
I lost 13.4lbs down and 1 inch off my waist. I was hoping for more lost inches, but I am still so thrilled with the result.
I still drink the smoothies for breakfast and lunch and then end the day with a dinner of protein and veggies. The books says that this is a safe and healthy way to continue to lose weight at a rate of 2lbs per week. And I will continue this way for another 2 weeks, see how I feel and make tweaks if needed.
This cleanse is fantastic. It’s simple, straightforward and it works. I will be keeping my copy close by to refer back to it for a post holiday cleanse or any other time I find myself overeating and need to detox.
Have you ever tried the 10-day Green Smoothie Cleanse? Let me know your experience or if you plan on giving it a try.