Lately, I have become a stan for the tinted moisturizer. It’s perfect for everyday wear. It gives me just enough coverage to give me that effortless “I woke up like this” look. And because I wear them most days out of the week, it’s important that the ingredients and the formulation process are safe and gentle for my skin.
So, I’m sharing my favorite cruelty free tinted moisturizers that are also all black and women owned.
Get your shopping list ready…
What is a tinted moisturizer?
A tinted moisturizer is a moisturizer with a small amount of tint added to it. It contains moisturizing properties as well as provides a light coverage for your skin. It is a great alternative for foundation for those who dislike the heaviness of a foundation or want to opt for a more natural look.
It won’t completely hide imperfections, but it adds a sheer, your skin but better finish. So, if you have dark circles or hyperpigmentation, you may still need to add concealer to cover them.
What does cruelty free mean?
When a product is designated as cruelty free it means that the manufacturing and development process does not involve experimentation on animals. The products will often be labeled with a cruelty free bunny logo.
What is the difference between tinted moisturizer, BB cream and CC cream?
There are small but noted differences between a tinted moisturizer, BB and CC creams.
The BB in BB cream stands for Beauty or Blemish Balm. They are multitasking products that usually have SPF, anti-aging and skin soothing benefits.
The CC in CC Cream stands for color correcting. And it reduces the look of redness or discoloration in the skin. The texture is lighter than the others since the primary job is to act as a color corrector and not as a replacement for foundation. The CC cream can be paired with a BB cream or tinted moisturizer to get the benefits of both.
Can you wear tinted moisturizer under foundation?
My philosophy on skin products is that it should look like a 2.0 version of your own skin. So, I’m always careful not to layer too many products on top of each other. With each layer, you run the risk of your makeup looking thick and cakey.
But a nice dewy tinted moisturizer formula could be used as a base underneath your foundation.
Not all tinted moisturizer formulas will work this way, so it will take some trial and error to see what combination will work for you.
What is the best way to apply tinted moisturizer?
The are 3 ways to apply tinted moisturizers, with your fingers, a blending sponge or brush.
- Your fingers – You can apply the tinted moisturizer with your God given makeup brushes – your fingers. Most formulas are sheer enough that there is no need to be precise with application.
- Squeeze a small amount onto your fingers first and glide the product over your face, working your way from the inside of your face outward to the hair line.
- Blending Sponge – With this method, I recommend first squeezing out a the product onto the back of your hand and then pick up a small amount onto the damp blending sponge and tap the product all over your face, starting from the inside and working your way outward.
- This method allows for even, flawless coverage and the sponge soaks up any excess product for the perfect finish.
- This is my favorite way to apply not just tinted moisturizers but also foundation. It’s a much cleaner process and I don’t have to worry about leaving little brown fingerprints everywhere.
- Foundation/Blending brush – You can also use the same brush you’d use to apply foundation, to apply your tinted moisturizer.
- Squeeze a small amount onto the back of your hand, pick it up onto your brush and then spread the product evenly over your face starting from the inside of your face and work your way outward.
- This is my least favorite method. You have to be so much more careful not to leave streaks from the bristles of the brush, which also means that the application process can take more time.
The Best Cruelty-Free Tinted Moisturizers
The Lip Bar
The Lip Bar’s Just a Tint 3-in-1 Tinted Skin Conditioner
Price: $17 on The Lip Bar website Use my code: CASIE10 for a discount on everything on their site. I also receive a small commission when you do 🙂
Description: Sun protector, complexion perfector, skin moisturizer. Keeps your skin healthy and glowing with hyaluronic acid and SPF 11.
What others are saying: On Target’s website this product received a 4.5 out of 5 starts with 90% of people say that they would recommend it.
Ami Cole’s Skin-Enhancing Tint
Price: $32 on Ami Cole website
Description: The satin finish fluid smoothes and adds a soft glow, to show your skin at its best.
My thoughts: This is my current favorite and I’ve been using it every day. I use shade Deep 2. I love how it gives me a natural sheer coverage and adds a beautiful glow to my skin.
Fenty Beauty Eaze Drop Blurring Skin Tint
Price: $32 at Sephora
Description: A lightweight, buildable light-to-medium coverage skin tint that leaves skin looking blurred and smoothed – in flexible shades for all.
What others are saying: One of my favorite beauty bloggers Jasmine of Brown Girl Beauty NYC gave it a great review on her channel. See what she had to say.
Click to Watch
There you have it, 3 of the best cruelty free, tinted moisturizers all women and black owned. Did any of your favorites make this list? Which one would you like to try?
With Love & Confidence,